Known as “The Christmas City,” Bethlehem, PA is located in the Lehigh Valley where more than 55,000 residents call it home. From its roots that day back to 1741 to the
modern amenities that have made this quaint city an oasis for families and young
professionals, the history of Bethlehem is at the heart of what makes this area a wonderful
place to explore.
With warmer weather finally on its way, the city comes to life in the spring and summer—bringing plenty of opportunities to get out and about while enjoying the spirit of the unique community. Whether you love diving in to the history of our nation’s beginnings or you’re looking for new ways to get involved in what the city has to offer, there’s something for everyone to enjoy as the summer months arrive.
See Bethlehem through the Eyes of its Historical Past
Time travel may not be possible, but you get the next best thing when you’re a history-lover in Bethlehem! This city is proud of it’s 300+ year history, and there are several interesting, historic attractions scattered throughout the region—many of which are sponsored and supported by Historic Bethlehem Museums & Sites.
For those that really want to take a step back into a different century, there are several different tours to explore—hosted by Historic Bethlehem Museums. Just a few of the many tours that occur throughout the spring and summer months include:
- Old Bethlehem Walking Tour that Explores the Beginnings of the City in 1741
- Moravian Story Walking Tour that Takes You into the History of Our Moravian Founders
- John Adams Bethlehem Tour where You See the Area through the Eyes of John Adams
- Bethlehem Steel Tours that Bring You through the Rise and Fall of the Steel Industry
Going hand-in-hand with the popular walking tours of the city are the historic landmarks that make them possible! Throughout Bethlehem, you’ll see examples of architecture and lifestyle from centuries ago, and a few places that need to be on any history buff’s must-see list include:
- The Tannery Built in 1761 Located in the Colonial Industrial Quarter
- Single Sisters’ House, Featuring German Colonial Style, Constructed in 1744
- The 1752 Apothecary off Main Street that was One of the First City Structures
- 1762 Waterworks which is Recognized as a National Historic Landmark
- The Goundie House Built in 1810 that is an Early Example of American Federal Style
- Burnside Plantation Which has Been a Working Farm from 1748 through Today
…and many more!
Spring and Summer Fun for Bethlehem Residents and Visitors
You don’t have to love history to find something exciting to do in Bethlehem! While the rich past of the area is one of its top attractions, there are several community events and happenings throughout the summer months. If you’re looking for something new and different to explore, be sure to check out the following:
- Rooms to View House & Garden Tour: This event takes you inside some of the most incredible homes and gardens of the area—with a preview soiree on June 7th and the house tour on June 8th.
- Design After Dark: Sponsored by Altitude Marketing, this after-hours series happens on Friday nights, and it’s “not your typical night at the museum”! From film showings to retro game nights, trivia, beer garden events, and more, you can enjoy the nostalgia of the past in a fun social setting.
- Free Museum Sundays: Looking for a fun and budget-friendly way to spend your weekend? Every Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., you can get free admission to the Kemerer Museum of Decorative Arts!
- Exciting Concerts: At the Sands Bethlehem Event Center, you can be in the center of the action when some of the biggest names in entertainment come to town!
The Trusted Bethlehem Moving Company Since 1928
The history of Bethlehem goes back more than three centuries, but O’Brien’s Moving & Storage has also made a mark by serving local residents for over 90 years. In that time, we’ve been a Bethlehem moving company that is award-winning, highly reviewed, and proud to be an agent for Allied Van Lines—letting us easily handle any size move, anywhere you need to go.
When choosing O’Brien’s Moving for your next relocation, you can customize your moving plan to fit your needs, budget, and timeline. From packing and crating to shipping, unloading, and set-up, we are your one-stop shop for movers in Bethlehem, PA.
If you’re planning on making a move in or out of the area, contact our professional Bethlehem movers today! We can get you set up with a free quote and fill you in on all the details of our premier moving and storage services.
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog