The city of Bethlehem, PA was founded on Christmas Eve in 1741 by the Moravian Church, and they named the settlement after the Biblical town of Judea, the birthplace of Jesus. Today, Bethlehem is more commonly known as the “Christmas City”.
One of the many incredible things about Bethlehem is how it recognizes its storied history. Many of the original customs and buildings of the past still exist today. Bethlehem has a wonderful month-long celebration each year to honor the city’s recognition of Christmas. The entire city is lit up, and the community comes alive with house tours and horse-drawn carts weaving through the downtown area.
The Christmas Star is another great honor of the past. First lit in 1937, this was the first year the Bethlehem Chamber of Commerce adopted the nickname “Christmas City, USA “. The star was permanently erected on the top of South Mountain, and when lit, it can be seen from as far as 20 miles away!
There are several historic buildings and structures in Bethlehem, many of which have been refurbished and are still in use today. Several are even rumored to be haunted! A few of the most famous historic landmarks in the area include:
- The Sun Inn: As a remarkable stone structure, the Sun Inn was built in 1758, and it was known in Colonial times for its excellent food, as well as its outstanding hospitality and accommodations. George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and Ben Franklin were just a few of the many dignitaries that stayed there. The Inn eventually closed and sat dormant for many years. However, it has made a remarkable recovery with a museum, an excellent restaurant (The Tavern Inn), and a micro-distillery (Christmas City Spirits) that opened up.
- Hotel Bethlehem: The gorgeous Hotel Bethlehem lays on a site that has continuously provided hospitality since 1741. The incredibly ornate, lavish hotel was built during Prohibition in 1922 by steel magnate Charles Schwab to cater to clients of the enormous Bethlehem Steel. Even back then it featured amenities of today, as it had a fitness center, a barber shop, a shoe shine service, and a coffee shop. The hotel was restored to its original 1922 grandeur and remains a thriving destination for overnight guests, weddings, banquets, and wonderful dining.
- Bethlehem Steel Stacks: Another marvelous reminder of Bethlehem’s past are the enormous Bethlehem Steel stacks. The steel-making giant that once employed over 30,000 people is gone, and most of the buildings that went on for miles and miles no longer exist. However, the steel stacks remain and have been converted into a large entertainment venue, plus an extremely busy casino with a vast array of shops and restaurants.
Whether you are looking at the area’s rich past or the city’s growth toward the future, Bethlehem is a magnificent success story and a beautiful town to call home.
Bethlehem Movers You Can Trust for Courteous, Dependable Service
Are you searching for dependable Bethlehem movers for all of your relocation needs? Look no further than O’Brien’s Moving & Storage—your local Bethlehem moving company. You can rely on us with any relocation need, whether you are moving across town, upstate, to the other side of the nation, or overseas. Since 1928, we have been providing exceptional service at an honest price. As an Allied Van Lines agent, we have the ability to handle any size relocation through our global network of resources, making it easy for you to get the ideal solution for a hassle-free move.
The comprehensive selection of services that we offer as your Bethlehem movers includes:
- Residential Moving: Whether you are moving to a neighboring city or across the globe, our residential moving services have you covered.
- Commercial Movers: Your bottom line will be our priority with commercial moving services that are designed to minimize your downtime.
- Specialized Moving: With our specialized equipment and handling techniques, we can expertly transport your high-value items, such as fine art and antiques.
- Storage: Whether your storage needs are short- or long-term, you can depend on our accommodating facilities to provide affordable, customized solutions.
- International Moving: No matter where in the world you may be relocating to, you can count on O’Brien’s and Allied Van Lines’ global network of resources for an efficient move.
- Warehouse Logistics: Bethlehem has grown from a small town to a bustling city that is the 7th largest in Pennsylvania, and we can help you coordinate the logistics of your local business.
O'Brien's Moving & Storage is the trusted mover in the following Bethlehem ZIP codes and beyond: 18015, 18016, 18017, 18018, 18055, 18067 and 18088.
Serving All of Northampton County with Expert Moving Services
- Fountain Hill
- Lower Saucon
- And more!
Learn More About Our Affordable Bethlehem Moving and Storage Services Today
Would you like to learn more about our capabilities as Bethlehem movers? Contact O’Brien’s Moving & Storage today at 800-729-9340, and one of our dedicated, friendly experts will be happy to assist you. You can also get your upcoming move started by requesting a free estimate from your Bethlehem moving company of choice by filling out our quick quote form right now!