With so many moving companies and moving agents to choose from, how do you know which mover will provide you with the best service tailored to all your specific needs? There are several ways you can narrow down your choices.
- Make sure that the company is legal (licensed and insured)
- The Department of Transportation is the government agency responsible for licensing all interstate movers. The DOT maintains records on each moving company's and moving agent’s liability and cargo insurance and makes sure that it operates safely. A good status with the DOT will ascertain that you have chosen a safe, bonded mover to ship your goods. You can view the information on their website directly at: http://www.dot.gov/
- To check the moving company’s and moving agent’s licenses, insurance, safety data, and other related services to the transportation industry please visit: http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/, make sure to have companies DOT or MC number to see the requested data.
- Make sure that the company is reputable.
- Check the company’s record in the Better Business Bureau – http://www.bbb.org -overview of when the company was established, check the rating of the company – use only the company with a satisfactory record, how many complaints the company has, and how many of these are resolved.
- Family and Friends
- Who can you trust more to give you the most honest information than your friends and relatives? Ask them for any recommendations and advice based on their previous moves to a different state.