With a history spanning more than 300 years, Cheltenham is a well-established township lying just outside Philadelphia’s urban sprawl. Full of unspoiled wooded tracts surrounding the beautiful Tacony Creek, this area was originally founded by 15 Quakers who purchased lots of varying sizes.
Cheltenham’s Growth and Development
As the years went by, neighborhoods and villages began to form around various mills that popped up in the late 17th century and early 18th century, including the first gristmill built by Richard Dungworth. The initial growth spawned an even bigger population boom in the early 20th century, especially after railroad tycoon Jay Cooke took notice of Cheltenham and chose it as the site to build his mansion.
Other important icons of business and politics set up homesteads here, ensuring a lasting legacy that can still be seen in the town’s stunning architecture and landmarks.
Today, Cheltenham is a diverse, multicultural town of around 36,000 residents. It boasts gorgeous green spaces, including the Curtis Arboretum, Harry Renninger Park, and Tookany Creek Park. For commuters, there are a number of nearby train stations that can easily whisk them to downtown Philadelphia, such as Jenkintown Wyncote, Elkins Park, and Melrose Park. Several large shopping centers play host to a number of national chain restaurants and retailers, while highways crisscross the landscape and provide a quick way to get around.
With a strong community base and a commitment to continual improvement, this township has made a number of strides in recent years by promoting efforts that include:
- Public Mural Projects: Philadelphia muralist David Guinn and a group of Arcadia students painted a new mural under the SEPTA train overpass last year, in an effort to unite community members.
- Seasonal Classes at Local Community Centers: Programs and classes for all ages and interests are offered by La Mott Community Center and Rowland Community Center.
- Opportunities to Volunteer with the Police Department: Community members who want to be more involved with local happenings can undergo training and help the police department at a range of community events.
- Sustainability Projects: As part of the Sustainable Cheltenham campaign, the town encourages Earth Day projects, such as park clean-ups, plantings, invasive removals, and other activities.
Cheltenham is home to a number of organizations that help preserve local culture, tradition, and education, including:
- The Old York Road Historical Society
- Cheltenham Center for the Arts
- The Richard Wall House Museum
- Four libraries: East Cheltenham Free Library, Elkins Park Free Library, La Mott Free Library, and the Glenside Free library
O’Brien’s Moving & Storage: A Local Business and Proud Community Member
As trusted Cheltenham movers since 1928, O’Brien’s Moving & Storage proud of our commitment to the local community. We’ve been helping our neighbors execute their moves for decades—in fact, we’ve been the leading movers in Cheltenham PA ever since we were a simple, one-truck operation. Now that we’ve expanded to 50 trucks and three locations in two states, we’re confident we have what it takes to perform moves of all sizes and to any location.
We specialize in moving individuals, businesses, and offices located in Cheltenham and in the surrounding area. We can help with local, long-distance, and international moves, as well as corporate relocation, commercial and household storage, and specialized solutions for moving antiques, fine art, and vehicles.
We’re proud of our affiliations and certifications, including membership in the Allied Agents Association and the American Moving and Storage Association, and our A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. We’ve won a number of awards too, including the “Mover Member of the Year Award” from the Pennsylvania Moving & Storage Association.When you need a Cheltenham moving company with skilled professionals, top-of-the-line equipment, and exceptional customer service, count on O’Brien’s Moving & Storage. To learn more and get a free, in-home estimate, call us or fill out the online form today.