On the northern fringe of Philadelphia is a quaint township with a long past and a strong community spirit. Abington Township, PA was originally obtained by William Penn in the 1680s, and it was incorporated in 1704—making it one of the oldest communities in Montgomery County.
It is also the home of some of the oldest industries, churches, and transportation systems in the country, and these vital structures were at the heart of Abington’s development over the centuries.
Taking in the Natural Beauty and Cultural Centers of Abington
With over 300 years of recorded history behind it, it’s no surprise that Abington Township has seen incredible developments in its growth. Today, the township is split into several thriving communities, with small business, large employers, and modern shopping centers providing the 55,000+ residents with all of the amenities they need. The popularity of the township is obvious—in fact, Abington is the second most densely populated township in the county with over 3,600 people per square mile!
Abington Attractions for Tourists and Residents Alike
So, what is it that makes Abington Township such a desirable place to live? In addition to its convenient location and modern amenities, there are a few attractions that make Abington the perfect place to put down roots:
- Ardsley Community Center: Opened in 1978, Ardsley Community Education center is a division of the local Bureau of Parks and Recreation and the home for a wide variety of local organizations. With facilities for rent that include classrooms and a gymnasium, along with a year-round day care center, this center is at the heart of supporting the local community.
- Briar Bush Nature Center: Easy access to city life is one of the perks of Abington, but you can escape the hustle and bustle by heading to the Briar Bush Nature Center! This 12-acre forest features hiking trails, the Griscom Bird Observatory, a natural pond, and kid-friendly playscapes, and the center itself hosts educational offerings throughout the year.
- Alverthorpe Park: This park is one of the exclusive perks of living in Abington Township! Open only to township residents and a guest, this gorgeous park has everything you need for a day spent outdoors, including year-round sports, fishing, miniature golf, camping, and more.
- Willow Grove Park Mall: Located at the edge of the township, the Willow Grove Park Mall is one of the best amenities of Abington. This three-story shopping mall has over 120 stores, several restaurants, and is considered one of the top malls in the Philadelphia region.
- Abington Art Center: The Abington Art Center is located in historic Alverthorpe Manor in the heart of Abington, and its mission was formed from the vision of a group of 26 women in 1939. Today, it features an outdoor stage, event pavilion, Sculpture Park, and regular classes and exhibitions that showcase the history and culture of the area.
Over the years, Abington has built a reputation as one of the best-rated communities in the region, and several famous actors and performers have also come from the township—including Mathew Fox, Bob Saget, Joey and Matthew Lawrence, and Bradley Cooper.
Helping You Make Your Move In or Out of Abington Township
With everything that Abington has to offer, it’s no wonder that the community was named in the “Top 100 Best Places in America to Live” in 2008, and it’s easier than ever to make your move to this thriving region when you have O’Brien’s Moving & Storage on your side.
As a premier Abington moving company, we have served local residents since 1928 with quality moving services that are fully customized to the size, budget, and needs of each project. We offer:
- Full-service household moving solutions
- Streamlined service for commercial relocation
- Household and business storage options
- Specialized moving support, warehousing, and more!
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog