What happens when a region known for producing steel long before the Civil War loses its last steel mill? While it’s been a long road since Bethlehem Steel Corp. closed in 1995, Lehigh Valley has reinvented itself, and the region is now home to thriving downtown neighborhoods, entertainment venues, and a diverse economy.
This transformation caught the attention of “The World,” one of the flagship shows on Public Radio International, and lead to a segment on how Lehigh Valley’s economy shifted away from steel and iron to a multifaceted economy with a greater focus on direct investment.
“The Valley,” as its known locally, now boasts endless possibilities for residents, businesses, and visitors alike. A few of the highlights include:
- SteelStacks: To honor the region’s history, the old steel mill has been reborn as a new entertainment venue known as SteelStacks. The community is using arts and culture as a way to move forward by hosting outdoor concerts, films, and comedy shows behind the old industrial pipes and furnaces.
- Flourishing Downtowns: You won’t find any boarded up windows in the old industrial town of Bethlehem. Rather, the downtown boasts a wide array of shops and cafes, which are a major draw for new businesses and residents coming to the area.
- A Mixed Economy: Lehigh Valley’s new economy includes healthcare, education, finance, insurance, and manufacturing. American and foreign companies have built facilities to produce a range of products—from trucks and medical devices to plastics and industrial valves.
- A Strong Population: Unlike many old industrial towns, the population in Lehigh Valley, particularly Bethlehem, has held steady since the steel mill closed.
- Strong Local Leadership: Decades before the steel mill closed, local leaders began investing in industrial parks that have attracted large manufacturing and high-tech companies.
If you’re considering relocating your household or business to, from, or within the Lehigh Valley community to be a part of the transformation, the professional Lehigh Valley movers at O’Brien’s Moving & Storage have been providing high-quality moving and storage services in the region since 1928. For nearly 100 years, our crews have stayed true to our motto, “Courteous and Dependable,” and offer a wide variety of customizable services to ensure that your relocation is hassle-free from start to finish.To learn more about our Lehigh Valley moving and storage services, give us a call today and speak with one of our friendly professionals about your upcoming move. You can also get started right away by filling out our simple quote from now.
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog