What happens when a region known for producing steel long before the Civil War loses its last steel mill? While it’s been a long road since Bethlehem Steel Corp. closed in 1995, Lehigh Valley has reinvented itself, and the region is now home to thriving downtown neighborhoods, entertainment venues, and a diverse economy.
This transformation caught the attention of “The World,” one of the flagship shows on Public Radio International, and lead to a segment on how Lehigh Valley’s economy shifted away from steel and iron to a multifaceted economy with a greater focus on direct investment.
“The Valley,” as its known locally, now boasts endless possibilities for residents, businesses, and visitors alike. A few of the highlights include:
- SteelStacks: To honor the region’s history, the old steel mill has been reborn as a new entertainment venue known as SteelStacks. The community is using arts and culture as a way to move forward by hosting outdoor concerts, films, and comedy shows behind the old industrial pipes and furnaces.
- Flourishing Downtowns: You won’t find any boarded up windows in the old industrial town of Bethlehem. Rather, the downtown boasts a wide array of shops and cafes, which are a major draw for new businesses and residents coming to the area.
- A Mixed Economy: Lehigh Valley’s new economy includes healthcare, education, finance, insurance, and manufacturing. American and foreign companies have built facilities to produce a range of products—from trucks and medical devices to plastics and industrial valves.
- A Strong Population: Unlike many old industrial towns, the population in Lehigh Valley, particularly Bethlehem, has held steady since the steel mill closed.
- Strong Local Leadership: Decades before the steel mill closed, local leaders began investing in industrial parks that have attracted large manufacturing and high-tech companies.
If you’re considering relocating your household or business to, from, or within the Lehigh Valley community to be a part of the transformation, the professional Lehigh Valley movers at O’Brien’s Moving & Storage have been providing high-quality moving and storage services in the region since 1928. For nearly 100 years, our crews have stayed true to our motto, “Courteous and Dependable,” and offer a wide variety of customizable services to ensure that your relocation is hassle-free from start to finish.To learn more about our Lehigh Valley moving and storage services, give us a call today and speak with one of our friendly professionals about your upcoming move. You can also get started right away by filling out our simple quote from now.