With nicknames that include “Pretzel Capital of the World” and “Baseballtown”, it should be no surprise that Reading, PA offers a lot of unique opportunities for entertainment, history, and exploration to those who call the place home. This gem of a town in Berks County is positioned about halfway between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, helping make it a hub for enjoying the best in small town living and modern conveniences.
While living in Reading comes with many benefits, the top concern on everyone’s mind this time of year is finding new, fun activities to get the most out of the summer season! At O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, our Reading moving company has been an integral part of the local community for more than 80 years, and we know all of the best places to explore when you want to find something new to enjoy this summer.
Get Reconnected to Nature
One of the best parts about the Reading area – and all of Berks County – is its beautiful natural scenery, and there’s no better time than summer to get outside and reconnect with nature. Whether you prefer primitive hiking and backpacking or enjoy leisurely strolls down paved, shaded trails, Reading has several parks within its boundaries that give you the chance to get your feet dirty and breathe in fresh summer air, including:
- Antietam Lake Park
- Gring’s Mill Recreation Areas
- Stonecliffe Recreation Area
- Union Canal Bicycle/Walking Trail
Learn Something New and Explore the Old
If you’ve lived in Berks County for long, you know that the region has a rich historical past—so, why not use your summer free-time to take a step back into a past era? In addition to the historical landmarks that dot the region, the greater Reading area also has several places where you can explore everything from colonial history to the depths of outer space, and we suggest making a stop at the following locations:
- Berks History Center: Whether you attend the book club or visit for a stroll through the Berks County Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, the Berks History Center has something for everyone to explore and learn.
- Reading Public Museum: As both an expansive museum and planetarium, the Reading Public Museum focuses on hands-on learning and sensory education to give families a firsthand look at stunning exhibits and artifacts from our world’s history and the reaches of space.
- Berks County Heritage Center: This interactive historical complex delves into the history of important eras of our nation’s past, and visitors here can enjoy touring several historic landmarks, memorials, and gardens.
- Mid-Atlantic Air Museum: Discover the history of aviation and vintage aircraft restoration at this awe-inspiring museum located at the Reading Regional Airport.
Enjoy the Arts All Summer Long
When you think of summer, chances are that music, sun, and memories with family and friends tops your list, and Reading’s rich cultural community gives you the chance to delve into the arts this summer. With both family-friendly events and options for adults to sit back and relax on a warm evening, you can bring the arts into your summer vacation with several local events and opportunities:
- Enjoy family-friendly movies with the Family Film Series at Fox East Theatres for a break from the heat—admission is only $1 per person!
- The Bandshell Concert Series extends through the month of July, and on Friday nights at 7:00pm, you can relax at City Park & Bandshell to the tune of a wide range of musicians.
- Head down to GoogleWorks Center for the Arts to take part in arts festivals, unique classes, and exhibitions from artists that are sharing their craft.
Adding a Household Move to Your Summer Plans in Reading?
While summer is the perfect time to kick back and relax before the busy fall season hits, it is also one of the most popular times of the year for planning household moves to and from the Reading area. At O’Brien’s, our Reading movers have years of experience in offering affordable, efficient relocation services to get you settled into your new home.
Whether you’re heading to the outskirts of town to take advantage of the rolling hills or moving your family half-way across the country, O’Brien’s Moving & Storage is the company that you can trust to help you have a seamless transition to your next location. To learn more about the advantages of living in Berks County and how O’Brien’s can provide you with an exceptional moving experience, give us a call! You can also request a free estimate and consultation now by filling out our online form.