Founded in 1752 and officially incorporated in 1815, modern-day Pottstown , PA is a small borough of Montgomery County nestled within the rolling hills of the region—with a legacy that is closely tied to the iron, steel, and manufacturing industries. From the beginning, Pottstown thrived as the demand for steel and iron grew throughout the early years of our nation, lasting until the sharp decline of manufacturing jobs in the 1970’s and 80’s.
As the opportunity for work dwindled in the area, so did the thriving economy of Pottstown—that is, until today! With help from the Montgomery County Planning Commission and Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area, Pottstown is seeing a major revitalization that extends from its historic downtown streets to the stunning views along the banks of the Schuylkill River.
Evolving Plans for an Evolving Pottstown, PA
Announced last year, these organizations have put together a 154-page document that outlines an ambitious plan to bring economic regrowth and revitalization to Pottstown. As a multi-faceted blueprint to the future of the area, it covers several key points, including:
- Eco-Friendly Enhancements: From encouraging eco-friendly bike travel to installing recycling boxes and swapping old streetlights and traffic signals with energy-efficient options, the borough is moving towards a better quality of life—with a lowered environmental footprint.
- Job Growth and Business: With the decline in the availability of manufacturing jobs, Pottstown has shifted its goal towards attracting new businesses and tourist attractions to the area, with a key focus on technology-based employers that are expected to drive-up the local economy.
- Natural Sustainability: In collaboration with the Rotary Club, Natural Land Trust, and local schools, several sustainability projects are in the works, including planting trees in the high school greenhouse to distribute throughout the town and creating a three-acre wildflower meadow at the former Edgewood Elementary School.
One of the biggest developments planned for the Pottstown area is centered on the beautiful Schuylkill River Trail. Called “a key element in economic development” by Michael Lane, the Pottstown Area Regional Recreation Coordinator, the Schuylkill River Trail is currently undergoing an expansion that will ultimately connect it from Schuylkill County all the way to Philadelphia—a total of 130 miles. Currently, around 60 miles of the trail have been completed, and the project is focused on:
- Adding weathered-steel guide rails along Moser Road to South Washington Street.
- Clearing brush and paving the 10-foot-wide trail.
- Installing handicap-accessible ramps at the trail entrances.
- Including a pedestrian/bicycle crossing with the new Route 422 bridge over the Schuylkill River.
- · Increasing accessibility for bikers and walkers to explore the area safely.
Starting Fresh With a Move to the Revitalized Pottstown Area
While decades ago Pottstown may have looked like it was past the prime of its history, these economic developments and the commitment to improving the lives of local Pottstown residents have bolstered the area and sparked new life and interest into this beautiful and historic borough.
As part of the legacy of the region since 1928, O’Brien’s Moving & Storage has seen the highs and lows of the modern-day Pottstown area, and we’re thrilled to be an active part of the revitalization of the community by delivering the best in affordable, personalized moving solutions.
Whether you are considering a move to Pottstown to take advantage of the growing economy and job opportunities or to relax in the beauty and tranquility of nature, our Pottstown movers are here to ensure that you get started off on the right foot with your relocation. From local and long-distance moves to streamlined commercial and storage services, our Pottstown moving company provides the small-town, friendly service that you want—with the modern technology and expert moving crews that you deserve.
With the revitalization of Pottstown comes the chance for young and old alike to put down roots in this beautiful region of PA, and we invite you to contact O’Brien’s Pottstown movers today to learn more about how we can help you take the first step towards a successful, stress-free relocation experience.
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog