One of the more popular and “populated” areas of Montgomery County is Abington Township. Incorporated in 1704, this county has seen centuries of growth, expansion, and historical events. Over the years, there have been countless notable people from all walks of life with roots tied to Abington Township that have gone on to make an impact on society.
A few of the names that you might recognize include:
- Professional Actors, such as Bradley Cooper, Mathew Fox, brothers Joey and Mathew Lawrence, and Danny Woodburn.
- Film and television director Susan Seidelman, who was involved with popular shows like Desperately Seeking Susan and Sex and the City
- Athletes Jason Garett (former NFL quarterback and current Dallas Cowboys head coach), retired NFL running back Eddie George, Motorsports Hall of Fame auto racer Al Holbert, former NHL goaltender Mike Richter, gold, silver, and bronze medalist Ellen Daniel, and Olympic gold medal winning rower Susan Francia
- Comedian Bob Saget
- Musicians such as The 5th Dimension lead singer Florence LaRue, and singer/musician ZZ Ward
- Chef Mike Vetri
- Founder of Bose Corporation and expert in the development of electronic and stereophonic technology, Amar Bose.
Exploring the Sights and Sounds of Abington Township, PA
It is really no wonder that Abington Township has been the birthplace and home of so many influential people, and in addition to its rich past, this thriving region offers countless opportunities to explore historic sights and the natural beauty of the area.
If you get the chance to spend a few days within the township or you planning on making a move here for your family, be sure to check out the following:
- Local Parks: There are many unique parks throughout the area with different things to do at each one! Alverthorpe Park is a popular choice with two playgrounds, a miniature golf course, basketball and tennis courts, fishing, a pond, and a trail for walking and biking. Mason Mill Park is a phenomenal place for children and it includes a little town that kids can walk or ride their bikes through—there are even stop lights at every intersection! You’ll also find basketball and volleyball courts here, along with a unique playground for younger and older kids, several picnic areas, and more to explore.
- Natural Wonders: In addition to the parks, there are also several places in Abington to visit for outdoor and nature lovers. Pennypack Trail is a wonderful trail that is 14-miles long with incredible scenery. Briar Bush Nature Center is another must see in the area! Owls, giant turtles, and snakes can be found indoors, while outdoors, you can see turkey vultures, different types of turtles, a butterfly house, a bird observatory (with toys inside for the kids), and a natural playscape.
- Modern Fun: Abington Township also has one of the best malls in the entire state! Willow Grove Park Mall is a beautiful and popular mall with many stores for all tastes, plus a great atmosphere. Magician lovers flock to the Smoke & Mirrors Magic Theatre. Built in a European style, and very common in Europe with its perfect sight lines and sound for the audience and excellent conditions for the performer, it is the first such theatre in the United States.
Abington Township also has an incredible highway and road system that started very early in its history, so travel within the large township and to other areas is very easy. With so much to do and the ease of transportation, it is obvious why Abington Township is so popular.
Planning a Stress-Free Move to the Abington Township Area
Whether you are planning on moving to Abington Township for the beautiful parks, high-performing school districts, or to experience the history of the area, one thing is for sure—working with an Abington Township residential moving company that understands the region is a priority! At O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, our team lives and works within this beautiful area of Pennsylvania, which gives us the in-depth knowledge and local insight necessary to make us one of the most-trusted Abington moving providers.
In fact, the Abington household movers at O’Brien’s have the skills and experience to handle any-size move with ease, whether you’re heading down the street or several states away from picturesque Montgomery County. We provide everything from local moving solutions to international relocation services, and you can always count on being treated like family when working with our Abington Township movers.
There’s no question that Abington Township is one of the hidden, historical gems of PA, and the team at O’Brien’s Moving & Storage is here when you’re ready to start planning your move within the area. Learn more about what we have to offer by giving us a call today, or get started right now by requesting a free, no-obligation estimate through our online quote form.
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog