When you move to a new area that you are unfamiliar with, you should set aside time to explore all of the different sites. Visiting historical sites can give you a better understanding of the community you are moving to. At O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, our moving company in Montgomery County can help welcome you to the area. In fact, our Montgomery County movers have several sites that we recommend you visit.
All About Valley Forge
Montgomery County holds the location of the military camp known as Valley Forge, which was 18 miles from Philadelphia. This camp was where the American Continental Army spent its winter under the command of George Washington. The troops hunkered down to wait out the brutal elements while the British occupied Philadelphia. While they were there, Washington continued to plan attacks that would eventually lead to America declaring victory.
Valley Forge is the main focal point of most tourists become of the significant role it played during the Revolutionary War. While this historical site is quite impressive, there are plenty of other interesting sites to check out while you are living in Montgomery County. In fact, the following are a few of our favorites:
- Pottsgrove Manor: This Georgian mansion built in 1752 served as the home of John Potts, a colonial ironmaster and the founder of Pottstown.
- Pennypacker Mills: You can take a step back in time when you explore this Colonial Revival country estate that features guided tours, special events, and other activities focused on history in the early 1900s.
- Peter Wentz Farmstead: Pay a visit to this restored colonial farmhouse to stand where Washington stood as he planned the Battle of Germantown.
- Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Beth Sholom Synagogue: Architecture lovers will enjoy visiting the only synagogue ever designed by this famed architect.
- Architecture of the Bryn Athyn Historic District: At this National Historic Landmark District, you can enjoy a variety of historical museums and landmarks focused on different time periods.
If you haven’t already moved to Montgomery County or you are moving within Montgomery County, you can count on O’Brien’s Moving & Storage to provide you with seamless and stress-free relocation services. Give us a call or fill out our online form to learn more about the services we have to offer and to request a complimentary quote.
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog