Lehigh Valley Among the Best Places for New Grads
With a number of major colleges in the region, including Moravian College, Muhlenberg College, Cedar Crest College and Lehigh University, the picturesque Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania has long been a hotspot for young adults seeking quality higher education opportunities. While the freedom that comes with college life can feel like a world in and amongst itself, the truth is that life is only just beginning when you graduate with a degree! Several big decisions are just around the corner once college life ends, and one of the biggest is making a choice in where you want to live, work, and build a life.
There are several factors to consider when choosing which U.S. metropolitan area offers the best start for new graduates, and everything from social life to housing to the job market need to be considered. Fortunately, you may not have to go far to find exactly what you are looking for! The Lehigh Valley has been ranked as 42 across the nation by Money Magazine in the list of “50 Best Places for New College Graduates”.
When determining which metropolitan areas made the list, many different aspects of a well-rounded life were considered. Affordable housing, job opportunities that were open to brand-new graduates, and median incomes all played a role in this recognition for the beautiful Lehigh Valley. In fact, only two other cities in PA made this list—Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
So, how did the Lehigh Valley rank? Consider the following statistics put together by the researchers at Money Magazine:
- Real Estate: 13.7% of all real estate listings in this region were affordable for new college grads on a tight budget.
- Job Market: 14.7% of job postings were open to new graduates, and this region has seen a 4.9% overall increase in the job market since the recession.
- Income: The average, median monthly income for those who live and work within the Lehigh Valley was $2,111.
Stunning Lehigh Valley Cities With a Bright Future
When you look over the statistics, there’s no question that the Lehigh Valley is a promising place to land a job and afford decent housing within the state of Pennsylvania, but what else should be considered? Finding a place to live as a new college graduate means balancing work with play, and the Lehigh Valley has countless recreational, entertainment, and outdoor opportunities that strike the perfect balance for new graduates! A couple of the top-ranking cities of the region include:
- Allentown: This charming, historic city is one of the most popular places to live within the Lehigh Valley—and for good reason! Landing on the list of “2017 Best Places to Live” by U.S. News & World Report, this city boasts everything from a thriving art and theatre scene to a growing economy that is drawing millennials in to the region.
- Bethlehem: With its inclusion on the “Top 10 Best Places to Live in PA” list, Bethlehem has a lot to offer to new grads looking for a small-town feel with big-town opportunity. Crime is low in the region, job markets are growing, and beautiful natural scenery makes it the perfect place to put down roots.
When it comes down to it, finding a place to live and work after graduating from college is one of the most important decisions new grads make in life, and you can’t beat the promising future of the thriving Lehigh Valley. Since 1928, O’Brien’s Moving & Storage has seen this area grow from a rural steel region to a diverse, modern economy, and we’re proud to be one of the most trusted names for a Lehigh Valley moving company to help new grads find their perfect homes in the area. If you’re considering settling down in the Lehigh Valley, give our home movers in Lehigh Valley a call or fill out our online form today! Our premier local moving company would be happy to answer any questions you have and get you started with a free, no-obligation estimate.
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog