After a long Pennsylvania winter, the trees are starting to bud, warm breezes return, and people throughout the region start making plans for spring cleaning and getting their homes ready for the summer season. For many residents, this change in seasons also means planning their next household move!
Spring is the beginning of the busiest time of the year when it comes to relocation, and the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC) recognizes May as National Moving Month—kicking off this exciting season for homeowners and every moving company in Eastern Pennsylvania!
While spring can be an ideal time to start getting everything in order for your next relocation, the PUC offers wise advice to all area residents before jumping into the moving process:
- Get Multiple Quotes for Your Move - The busy moving season results in competitive prices for moving companies throughout the area, but that doesn’t mean that every provider offers the same services at the same cost! Get at least three written estimates from various moving companies, and compare the value of the services they provide before deciding which one is right for you.
- Hire a PUC-Certified Mover - To help PA residents find a reputable mover, the PUC licenses companies that meet their high standards for quality and honest service. Any moving company that operates within the state needs to have a certificate of public convenience issued by the PUC, and this certificate number must be displayed in all forms of advertisements. If you don’t see a PUC number for one of the Philadelphia movers you’re considering, steer clear to avoid working with an unlicensed and uninsured provider.
- Look for the Information for Shippers Form - This essential document is something that you need to look over before signing any contracts with your chosen moving company. This form breaks down your written estimate based on hourly rate or weight and mileage for your move. It also contains the information you need to understand the insurance carried by the provider, and it explains your coverage so you can make a decision as to whether you want to purchase additional insurance.
Tips for Planning a Stress-Free Spring Move
The advice from the PUC is extremely helpful when selecting the right moving company in Eastern Pennsylvania to meet the needs of your relocation, but what about all of the other factors that go into spring moving? At O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, we understand that relocating your family is about more than just moving your items from one location to another—it’s also about relocating your entire life!
To help you get the most out of your springtime move and ease the transition to your new home, we’ve put together a few tips to take the stress out of the relocation process:
- Get Started Early - May is National Moving Month, which means one thing—moving companies are booking up fast! Beat the rush and guarantee your preferred moving date by starting the process as soon as you know you will be moving. Several months in advance, start researching Philadelphia movers, secure your estimates, and choose a provider that can meet your needs.
- Make Detailed Lists - Even if you aren’t a person that typically makes to-do lists, now is great time to start! There are countless things to consider when planning your move, from switching utilities and medical providers to planning around children’s school schedules, and it’s easy to become overwhelmed by the process. Cut down on the stress of this busy time in your life by keeping a notebook with to-do lists broken down into manageable steps. It’s also a wise idea to make a master inventory list as you’re packing to ensure that all of your items arrive safely at your new home!
- Plan for Unpredictable Weather - Springtime in PA may mean the return of beautiful weather, but it can also mean storms, wind, or even snow! Keep an eye to the sky during the planning stages of your move to ensure that you’re prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws at you. When moving day arrives, keep raingear on hand, dress in layers, and stay in communication with your Allentown moving company to avoid any unexpected delays in the process.
- Take Your Time While Packing - One of the most important (and most tedious) parts of relocation is packing up your home, but it pays to do it carefully to prevent a lot more stress down the road! Use high-quality packing materials to keep your items safe during transportation, and be sure to seal up those boxes tightly! Spring pollen and damp weather can wreak havoc on your household belongings if they aren’t properly packed for the big day.
There’s nothing better than the feeling of renewal that comes with the changing seasons, and National Moving Month is the perfect time of year to start thinking about your family’s future. With O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, you know that you’ll be getting honest, personalized service throughout the relocation process, and we’ll be with you every step of the way to make your residential move as seamless and stress-free as possible.
To learn more about what sets our Bethlehem moving company apart from the crowd, just give us a call today. You can also request your free, no-obligation estimate now by submitting our simple online form!
Subscribe to O'Briens Moving & Storage's Blog