Easton Residential Movers
The picturesque city of Easton was originally referred to by the Lenape Native Americans as “The Place of the Forks”, where the large Lehigh and Delaware rivers converge, and it was named after an estate in Northamptonshire, England.
Easton Today – The Community and Features
Today, Easton has a population of over 28,000 residents, and the city is split into four distinct sections:
- Historic Downtown, which lies directly to the north of the Lehigh River
- The West Ward which obviously lies on the western edge of the city
- The South Side, which lies south of the Lehigh River
- College Hill, an area in the hills north of downtown
College Hill is home to the excellent private college, Lafayette College. Established way back in 1829, Lafayette College has numerous distinguished alumni, including Vineyard Vine CEO Ian Murray, Levi Strauss CEO Chip Bergh, Sam Miguel Corp Chairman and Filipino presidential candidate Eduardo Cojuangco Jr., author Jay Parini, Secretary of the Treasury William E. Simon, Attorney General John W. Briggs, two Nobel Laureates, two billionaires, and many prominent bankers, judges, and scientists.
Easton is also well known for its statues and monuments:
- Soldiers and Sailors Monument: This huge monument sits in the center, or “Circle”, of downtown Easton. Built in tribute to Easton war veterans killed during the Civil War, it is the spot of a wonderful Christmas tradition since 1951—The “Peace Candle” is a 106-foot candle that is erected over the Soldiers Monument and lit Thanksgiving weekend, and it’s taken down in early February each year. It is the largest non-wax Christmas candle in the country and possibly the world! Weighing between 8 to 10 tons with the flame about 15 feet high, and surrounded by four 15-foot side candles and a fountain at the base, the candle was built to serve as a peace symbol for all religions and denominations.
- Christopher Columbus Monument: Built in 1930, the monument was relocated to the other side of the wall along the Delaware River due to the damage it occurred during the catastrophic flood of 1955—caused by the infamous Hurricane Diane. The nine-foot bronze structure, which sits on a 10-foot tall granite base was made in honor of the great part Christopher Columbus’s discovery had on the history of the entire world.
- The Larry Holmes Statue: Located in Scott Park, very near where the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers meet, this eight and a half foot tall statue sits on top of a four-ton granite block. It was built to honor the “Easton Assassin”, Larry Holmes, one of the greatest heavyweight boxing champions in history and one of Easton’s greatest citizens.
The Northampton Street Bridge
Another phenomenal structure in Easton is the Northampton Street Bridge. This magnificent green steel bridge connects Easton with Phillipsburg, NJ, crossing over the Delaware River. Originally made of wood when built in 1806, by the late-19th century, trolley cars had replaced horse-drawn streetcars, and the wooden bridge could no longer handle the demands. The new steel structure was built in 1895 and designed by Lafayette College alum, James Madison Porter III.
The Northampton Street Bridge was designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1995 for combining aesthetics with economical design. The bridge was also severely damaged by the flood of 1955 that caused floodwaters to rise above the road on the bridge—over 44 feet above normal! Repairs were carried about by the nearby famous Bethlehem Steel, but the flood damage left an easily seen sag in the center span that remains today. The bridge is known by locals as the “Free Bridge”, in contrast to the Easton-Phillipsburg Toll Bridge just upstream to the north.
Eateries of Modern Easton
While touring the Easton area to see these and other amazing sites, make sure you visit the growing collection of many excellent restaurants, including Oak Steakhouse, River Grille, Pearly Baker’s Alehouse, Marblehead Chowder House, and many more. When you combine the modern development of Easton with its rich historical past, it’s easy to see why this city is a popular place to call home.
Enjoy a Stress-Free Move with Our Easton Residential Moving Company
A lot has changed in Easton over the decades, but one thing has remained constant—the high-quality service offered by the local Easton movers at O’Brien’s Moving & Storage. As an Allied Van Lines agent that has served the area since 1928, we understand how to deliver quick, cost-effective relocation services that are fully customized to your home and family.
From packing and crating to transport and unpacking, our Easton residential moving company offers a premier selection of moving services that include:
- Local Easton Moving: We have served homeowners in Easton for decades, and you can rely on us as moving experts that understand all the ins and outs of the local region.
- Long Distance Moving: Through our nationwide network of moving resources, our Easton household movers can easily coordinate any size residential move, anywhere in the country.
- Interstate Moving: Whether you’re heading to New York, New Jersey, or any other neighboring state, we provide interstate moving that is efficient and expertly coordinated.
- International Relocation: Moving overseas involves unique challenges, and we simplify the process by handling all the details for a stress-free experience.
- Senior Moving Services: Courteous, dependable, and compassionate care is what you get from our Easton residential movers when you’re planning a move for one of your senior loved ones.
- Corporate Relocation: If your employer requires that you make a move due to your job, we can work within the budget and timeline requirements to execute your relocation seamlessly.
Get Started Today with a Free Quote for Your Next Household Move in Easton!
Searching for a “mover near me” doesn’t have to be a stressful, overwhelming process. Instead of turning to a less-than-experienced provider, turn to the Easton movers at O’Brien’s Moving & Storage to get the household moving services that you deserve. We’re here to help you have an exceptional relocation, so give us a call today to learn more about how we stand out from other household moving companies! You can also fill out our online form now to request a free quote and no-obligation consultation.