Located in the beautiful Lehigh Valley, the city of Allentown, PA is one of three cities—along with Bethlehem and Easton—that make up the core of the region. There are many events that are part of Allentown’s history, and the past of this area has helped to shape the face of both Pennsylvania and our early nation.
During the Revolutionary War, the Liberty Bell was successfully hidden in Allentown to avoid being confiscated and melted down by the British to use for their cannons. Today, there is a shrine and a museum in the basement of the Old Zion Reformed Church in center-city Allentown—marking the spot where the bell was hidden.
Allentown Moving Company with Roots in the Community
In addition to O’Brien’s Moving and Storage, which opened its doors in 1928, a number of other well-known businesses have roots in the area. Known for years as a rural and agricultural area, the opening of the Lehigh Canal on the Lehigh River transformed Allentown into an urbanized industrial area, ultimately making it a major center for heavy industry and manufacturing. Over the next century, this spurred the development of several famous businesses, including the Pabst Brewing Company, Neweiler Brewery, Mack Trucks, and Western Electric.
Large banks and department stores also found their way to the area, with one of the most iconic being Hess Brothers. Founded in 1897, the store kept expanding and eventually covered an entire city block. Dignitaries, actors, and politicians from all over the country liked to be seen at Hess’s, and many older Allentown residents fondly remember Hess’s French Room—an area filled with fashions from France that were obtained on Charles Hess’s frequent trips to the country—as well as the Hess models who roamed the stores, the Patio Restaurant, “Pip the Mouse Celebrities” puppet show, and the extravagant décor.
Many more memories come from the legacy of the store, and Hess’s branched out significantly during the 1960s—eventually opening many additional locations in suburban areas around Allentown.
As with many downtowns across the country, Hess’s and the center-city area succumbed to the development of large shopping centers and malls in the suburbs. Many department stores and businesses left. Coupled with the economic shift to less manufacturing and industrialization, many factories and corporations left the area or closed. The last part of the 20th century and the early part of the 21st century were tough economic times for the Allentown area. Songwriter Billy Joel even coined a song in 1982 about the troubled economic times Allentown was going through.
Families and Businesses are Moving to Allentown
The good news is that the downtown Allentown area is in the midst of a great economic and building revival, and the formation of the Allentown Economic Development Corporation has triggered massive redevelopment. Numerous new buildings have been erected that have attracted major employers, as well as several large restaurants, retail shops, apartment buildings, and the PPL Center—home of a professional hockey team and an array of concerts.
Allentown is annually recognized as one of the best cities to live in when compared to the largest 100 metropolitan regions in the country. Its great location, diversity of neighborhoods, entertainment, low cost of living, and ample job opportunities have made Allentown a popular place to live.
The Allentown Movers You Can Trust for High-Quality Relocation Service
As Allentown movers since 1928, O'Brien's Moving & Storage knows what the 120,000 residents of this city expect from their relocation services. With our professional experience, we have the ability to handle household moves of all sizes, while offering the best in cost-effective, high-quality moving and storage services.
Whatever your moving needs may be, we offer services that include:
- Residential Moving: Let our expert Allentown movers handle the task of moving your home, long distance or locally, with our wide range of services at the most competitive prices.
- Local Allentown Movers: Our local movers deliver unsurpassed service at a great value whether you're moving a small apartment or a four bedroom house.
- Long Distance Movers: As award-winning interstate agents for Allied Van Lines, you have two names you can rely on: Allied and O'Brien's.
- Commercial Office Moving: Minimize downtime and contain costs with our comprehensive office moving services and move management process.
- Specialized Moving: Entrust the transport of high-value goods to the experts at O'Brien's Moving, and benefit from our specialized packing and crating services.
- Storage: Choose from our competitively priced, diverse storage services for your short- or long-term storage needs at our full-service moving and storage company in Allentown.
- International Moving: Move overseas with the vast network of resources provided by O'Brien's Moving as your Allied Van Lines agent.
- Warehouse Logistics: As the fastest-growing metropolis in the state, the economy of Allentown is booming, making it an ideal environment for a variety of industries to expand their operations.
Proudly Serving Residents and Businesses throughout the Allentown Region
Our professional movers in Allentown serve the following ZIP codes: 18015, 18031, 18034, 18049, 18062, 18066, 18078, 18080, 18092, 18101, 18102, 18103, 18104, 18105, 18106, 18107, 18108, 18109, 19530, and more!
Serving All of Lehigh County
- Center Valley
- Fountain Hill
- Laurys Station
- New Smithville
- New Tripoli
- Saucon Valley
Get Started with a Free Allentown Moving Estimate Today!
Interested in hearing more about how our Allentown movers can help you have an exceptional moving experience? Contact O'Brien's Moving & Storage today at 800-729-9340! One of our friendly, knowledgeable professionals will be happy to assist you. Get your move started now and take the first step towards a worry-free process—call or fill out our online form to request your free quote and consultation.