Scranton and Wilkes-Barre sit in the heart of the Wyoming Valley in northeastern Pennsylvania and are the 2 largest cities in the 4th largest metropolitan region in the state, and the 97th largest in the United States.
Since 1928, O’Brien’s Moving & Storage’s Scranton/Wilkes-Barre office movers have proudly served these communities with comprehensive relocation services that can take care of all of your Wilkes-Barre or Scranton office, hospital, college, laboratory, and warehousing moving needs.
Covering such a large area isn’t something just any moving company can handle, but we have the work force to handle any size relocation at any time. We can even take care of short notice and last minute requests!
The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Region History
It is quite unique to have such large cities in such close proximity to each other, as less than 20 miles separate them. This was due to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre being the core of the anthracite coal region in the early 1800's. Jesse Fell of Wilkes-Barre discovered a way to ignite and burn coal using an iron gate.
This led to an "explosion" in popularity of anthracite coal as a fuel source, which led to a large expansion of the coal industry in northeastern Pennsylvania. This also led to the large development of canals and railroads built to transfer the coal, coal bi-products, and textiles to many areas of along the east coast.
The end result was a large population growth that continued until the decline of the coal and railroad industry, which resulted in a pretty significant decline in the population of both cities, as well as the entire region.
Scranton Business Development and Wilkes-Barre Business Growth
Both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre have certainly recovered, and O’Brien’s Moving & Storage’s team of Scranton office movers and Wilkes-Barre office moving experts are proud to be part of the area’s continued growth.
There are an incredible amount of businesses, medical facilities, and top-level colleges and universities located in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre including:
- United Gilsonite Laboratories. Founded in 1932, UGL is a worldwide leader in the paint and coatings industry has numerous popular products, including DRYLOCK EXTREME, a high - performance waterproof coating that is used to protect walls, etc., and is very popular in the hurricane and flood prone regions in the southern United States.
- Times-Shamrock Communications. Large regional employer that publishes 4 daily newspapers, 6 weekly newspapers, and has 9 radio stations, including the very popular Scranton-Times Tribune, which has been published daily since 1891!
- Montage Mountain Ski Resort. Located near Scranton in the wondrous Pocono Mountains, Montage Mountain is extremely popular as it is perfectly located just 2 hours from New York City and Philadelphia. Montage Mountain offers the best expert slopes in Pennsylvania, with 26 trails covering over 140 acres (including a 1,000 foot vertical drop), and full mountain night skiing. Montage Mountain also has a huge, wonderful bar and restaurant (Slocum Hollow), where you can check out the spectacular views, along with a concert venue. In addition, there is a huge waterpark with 12 private cabanas to rent, plus the fabulous ZipRider – where you can ride the ski lift, then ascend up a 5 story tower, and then get strapped in a chair and soar down the mountain at speeds reaching up to 50 mph! Montage Mountain is a year-round resort with many employment opportunities.
- Penn Foster Educational Group. A large technological company with over 500 employees that designs and develops web based platforms and educational content.
- Luzerne Optical Labs. A leading manufacturer in the optical industry, producing and distributing the finest lenses and frames available.
- 2 United State District Courts: the William J. Nealon Federal Building and United States Courthouse, and the Max Rosenn United States District Court.
We think the most impressive thing about the Scranton/Wilkes Barre region is the incredible array of colleges and universities:
- University of Scranton. A private Jesuit university founded in 1988 and is rated very high nationally.
- Wilkes University. Named after John Wilkes, whom Wilkes-Barre is named after, the university was founded in 1933 and was granted doctoral status in 1990.
- King's College. A Roman Catholic liberal arts college located within the Diocese of Scranton in downtown Wilkes-Barre and spanning over 50 acres. Founded in 1946.
- Marywood College. A Catholic liberal arts college established in 1915.
- Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. A private medical educational school associated with Geisinger Health Systems.
- Lackawanna College. A private college with a variety of popular majors and vocations, including Early Childhood Education and Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement.
- Penn Foster Career School. An online degree school with over 50 career diploma programs, established in 1890.
- Home to Pennsylvania State University branch campuses of PSU - Scranton and PSU - Wilkes - Barre.
Highly Rated Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Office Movers
With so many businesses headquartered here, and more coming all the time, it’s easy to see why our Scranton/Wilkes Barre commercial movers stay so busy—and that’s just the way we like it!
Whether you need a Scranton office mover to relocate a small business across town or you’re looking for a Wilkes-Barre office mover who can complete the relocation for a 500-seat corporation, we can help.
We’ll take care of every detail from packing and hauling to corporate relocations and furniture installation. Choose our full-service moving or we’ll help you design a custom office moving package that perfectly meets your needs and your budget.
Do you also need storage? We can help with that, too. O’Brien’s Moving & Storage has 67,000 square feet of secure space for your short-term and long-term storage needs.
Comprehensive Commercial Moving & Storage
In addition to office moving, we also provide a full array of commercial moving services including:
- Business Relocation: No business is too large or too small for our Scranton/Wilkes-Barre commercial movers!
- Hospitals & Schools: When deadlines count and budgets matter, O’Brien’s Moving & Storage is the smart choice.
- Lab and Medical: Delicate, expensive gear requires an experienced touch. Our lab and medical equipment movers are specially trained to handle all of your items with the care they require.
- Furniture Install: We can include modular furniture takedown and installation as part of your moving package.
- Hospitality: From a 4-room bed and breakfast to a 500-room hotel, we’ll make light work of your hospitality move.
- Warehouse & Industrial: We have the ability to move industrial equipment and to provide warehousing and distribution services for businesses of any size.
Contact Our Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Office Movers for More Information
Don’t trust your Scranton/Wilkes-Barre office or commercial move to just any relocation company. Choose the proven expertise of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre commercial moving company that has served this area since 1928 and earned a solid reputation for superior services one mile at a time. Call O’Brien’s Moving & Storage today to learn more or fill out our online contact form now to schedule a no-cost, on-site consultation.