The Lehigh Valley has so much going for it that it can be hard to choose one aspect that makes it such a popular place to live. With beautiful countryside, thriving suburb communities, and all three major cities of Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton experiencing a wonderful revival of their downtowns, young and old alike find the scenic, close-knit community they are looking for when living in this area.
One of the many reasons that the Lehigh Valley is prospering is the quality of its work force, coupled with an affordable cost of living and ample job opportunities—not to mention the diversity of the job market! The healthcare, transportation, and warehousing industries, along with the accommodation and culinary industry, are booming here.
The Lehigh Valley has consistently ranked in the top metropolitan areas of Pennsylvania as far as job growth, but the area has also long been a hotspot for younger people seeking a quality education and a great place to start their post-college life. In addition to the many excellent community colleges here, there are several historic colleges in the area, including:
- Lehigh University, established in 1864
- Moravian College, established in 1742
- Muhlenberg College, established in 1848,
- Cedar Crest College, a private women’s liberal arts college, established in 1867
- Lafayette College, established in 1826,
- DeSales University, a private Catholic university, established in 1964
Exploring the Culture and Community of the Lehigh Valley
There are countless opportunities to explore culture, entertainment venues, and fine restaurants in the Lehigh Valley. The area’s two historic theatres—the State Theatre in Easton and the Civic Theatre in Allentown—have been around forever, and they have long been the landing place of world-famous acts. The new Steel Stacks in Bethlehem and the PPL Center in Allentown are excellent venues to take in the latest musician or see a concert. For those that love dining out, there are many wonderful restaurants in the Lehigh Valley, with the Blue Grillhouse, The Melt, Randall’s at the Orchard, Grill 3501, and Pearle Baker’s being among the favorites.
There are also four popular festivals in the Lehigh Valley that are spread throughout local cities and towns:
- Musikfest: Held every August in downtown Bethlehem since 1984, this 10-day festival is the largest non-gated free music fest in the country. Local German roots are the foundation of the celebration, and most of the venues use “Platz”, the German word for place or square, at the ends of their names. There is tons of free music and entertainment, plus paid premium concerts from some of the top artists in the world. Plus, if you can’t find food there you just aren’t hungry—there is every type of food imaginable at this festival that draws about one million people every year!
- Mayfair: Held annually around the end of May (hence the name “Mayfair”) since 1986, the fair is a multidisciplinary art festival that features visual arts, performing arts, garden arts, and art education. Mayfair has returned to its roots by giving the same wonderful experiences that were so popular decades ago. The festival was moved to the beautiful Cedar Crest College campus in 2018, and again features food and craft vendors, artists, music, and live performances.
- Great Allentown Fair: This annual fair and agricultural show started in 1852, and it is one of the oldest fairs in the United States. The fair has also been at the same site, the storied Allentown Fairgrounds, since 1917. The week-long event is planned around the Labor Day weekend, and ends on Labor Day. The fair has evolved from its earliest years of just showcasing agricultural advances to entertaining patrons. As the famous grandstand was built, there were horse races, airship races, and professional auto races for over 50 years. Today, it has remained true to its agricultural roots with petting zoos, many livestock judging contests, and a farmer’s market, while focusing more on top-name concerts, talent shows, a magnificent carnival, and the immensely popular Demolition Derby.
- Celtic Classic: Since 1988, this annual festival occurs in early fall in Bethlehem, and is held in much the same area as the Musikfest. The Celtic Classic was designed to preserve and promote the Celtic heritage through education, musical presentation, and traditional competitions in athletics, piping, and dance. The sound of bag pipes resonates throughout the city during this three-day festival. The Pipe Band Competition, the US National Highland Games Championships, and the Highland Dance Competition are perennially fan favorites. Over 250,000 people attend this classic annually.
With so much to offer families and business professionals alike, it’s no surprise that quality Lehigh Valley movers are in high demand! At O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, we go to great lengths to offer the most-trusted moving and storage solutions at competitive prices. Since 1928, our Lehigh Valley moving company has provided a wide range of residential moving services to suit any need and budget.
Full-Service Support from an Expert Residential Moving Company in Lehigh Valley
When moving to Lehigh Valley, you have the benefit of working with some of the most experienced and reputable relocation professionals in the Northeast. At O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, we’ve been managing relocations of all sizes and scopes for generations. Our dedicated team will work tirelessly to provide you with the best care possible so you and your family can enjoy a move that’s stress-free.
Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, few movers in Lehigh Valley can match our experience, dedication, and comprehensive solutions. As an agent of Allied Van Lines, we have access to a nationwide network of moving professionals with the resources to coordinate your household move—regardless of size.
Trusting O’Brien’s Moving & Storage with your household relocation comes with many amenities and benefits, including:
- Local and Intrastate Moves
- Long Distance Moving Services
- Accurate, In-Home Moving Estimates
- Highly Trained Professional Moving Crews
- State-of-the-Art Equipment and Transport Services
- Full-Service Options Customized for You
- Personal Move Coordinator to Walk you Through the Entire Move Process
- Partial/Full Packing and Unpacking Services
- Flexible Scheduling and Delivery
- Short- and Long-Term Storage Solutions
Contact Our Household Movers in Lehigh Valley Today!
At O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, we want to welcome you to Lehigh Valley by offering you the most qualified, affordable residential moving solutions in the area! To find out more about our services, give us a call today to speak with a friendly moving professional. You can also fill out our simple online form to get set up for a free, no-obligation estimate!