The bedroom community of Elizabethtown has so much to offer, both for young and old alike, and it is a great place to raise a family. The beautiful campus of Elizabethtown College anchors the town. Chartered in 1899 by members of the Church of the Brethren, the college has become one of the top institutions in the state, as well as the entire country. Distinctions include:
- The New York Times ranked the college 23rd in the nation among private colleges in graduating Pell Grant recipients.
- The Brooklyn Institution reported Elizabethtown college grads were in the top 25 nationally as far as mid-career salary earnings.
- The college also ranked 6th out of 153 Pennsylvania colleges as far as “value added” by the Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program. The program assesses how well colleges affect students post-graduate economic success, and Elizabeth College earnings were 27 % higher than the predicted amount.
Elizabethtown’s Railways Then and Now
The railroad was a long part of Elizabethtown’s history, and still is today. The first railroad that ran through the area was built in 1833 and operated for almost 150 years. Today, Elizabethtown is still serviced by railway, as it is a hub for the Amtrak high speed line that runs from Harrisburg to Philadelphia.
The scenic Conewago Recreation Trail that runs along the old rail corridor of the Cornwall-Lebanon Railroad reflects some of the area’s tie in to the railroad industry and is a great trail for hikers and bikers alike. The rail trail is made of crushed limestone and stretches over 20 miles from Elizabethtown to the Lebanon County Line, allowing breathtaking views of the Susquehanna Valley.
The Historic Heritage House Museum
More of the history of the town can be seen through the Winters Heritage House Museum. Three buildings make up the museum: the Scot-Irish portion at 47 East High Street, the PA German portion at 43 East High Street, and the H. U. Coble House at 33 East High Street.
The history of the Winters Heritage House is amazing. The one-and-a-half story log cabin was originally built in 1760 and was relocated to its current spot in 1790. The log room’s walls are made of American chestnut with bark intact! The other building at 43 East High Street was also built in 1760 and consists of similar log walls, while the building at 33 East High Street was added in 1877. A tomahawk was found while digging the cellar of this house! Thanks to the Elizabethtown Preservation Associates, which was created in 1988 to preserve these fantastic structures, they are still in use today.
A Hassle-Free Long Distance Relocation
Leaving behind the charming community and rich history of Elizabethtown isn’t easy, but O’Brien’s Moving & Storage can at least ensure the move itself is hassle-free! Our Elizabethtown long distance movers have been in business since 1928, and we remain as dedicated to exceptional customer service as we were on the day we did our first job.
As an award-winning agent of Allied Van Lines, we are part of a nationwide network of moving professionals, so we can help with your move anywhere in the country—and beyond. Our highly rated Elizabethtown long distance moving company offers:
- Interstate Movers: Whether moving one state over or to the other side of the country, when in need of long distance movers, Elizabethtown, PA residents know they can trust us to provide exceptional, affordable services.
- International Relocation: An overseas move requires careful planning and the help of one of the Elizabethtown long distance moving companies that have experience with international moves. When you choose the international movers of O’Brien’s Moving & Storage, we’ll make sure you have a smooth transition.
- Corporate Relocation: Whether we’re moving one employee or a hundred, each household is unique, and our cost-effective corporate relocation services make it easy for businesses and households alike.
Learn About Our Elizabethtown Relocation Services
If you’re planning a move, contact the team that provides affordable, customer-focused service. Call O’Brien’s Moving & Storage today, or fill out our online contact form now to schedule a free, in-home moving estimate. Since 1928, we’ve been serving Pennsylvania residents with long distance solutions—moving you from this area to most anywhere!