Moving companies are Open for Business. As we get into the busy moving season, so are illegal, unlicensed movers. Be cautious! Learn what to look for in a reputable mover.
Summer is the busiest time of year for residential moving in the Lehigh Valley and across the United States. Hiring movers during the busy season not only requires some advance planning to snag your preferred moving day—it also calls for extra vigilance against disreputable moving companies. O’Brien’s Moving and Storage would like to help protect you from scammers who prey on local families during this time. Learn what to look out for so that you aren’t the next cautionary tale!
1. Confirm Licensing as a Legal Mover
The most important thing is to make sure you are using a licensed, legal mover, AND make sure they are not just an internet broker.
- Internet brokers do not own trucks and have employees.
- Licensed movers in the state of Pennsylvania have a Public Utility Number – O’Brien’s PUC is PA-94076.
- Interstate movers (people moving across state lines) have an Interstate Commerce Commission number – O’Brien’s ICC is MC 14735.
There are so many horror stories out there from people that have used unlicensed movers, and sadly, you have very little recourse once you have fallen victim to these unscrupulous predators. If you have a price that seems too good to be true, if their price is much lower – BUYER BEWARE. We cannot emphasize this enough.
2. Check for National Affiliations
The first place to start narrowing down your Lehigh Valley movers is by national van line affiliation. Working with a moving company that’s supported by a recognized van line will give you several extra assurances of quality:
- You’ll know that the mover has been independently evaluated and vetted by a trusted industry expert.
- You’ll know that the mover has professionally trained partners across the country, as well as a vast network of resources and modern moving equipment.
- You’ll know that your mover offers competitive pricing based on the most up-to-date national standards.
Other important affiliations include BBB accreditation and ProMover status with the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA). If you’re moving out of the country, then look for a Registered International Mover (RIM), too. O’Brien’s Moving and Storage boasts all of these affiliations, including a long-established partnership with Allied Van Lines!
3. Take Note of Any State and Local Awards
Don’t stop at “affiliation” alone. To guarantee the highest level of quality for your local or long-distance move, take it one step further and hire Lehigh Valley movers with a record of moving industry awards.
At O’Brien’s, our Allied movers have earned a huge list of awards and distinctions, including:
- Allied “Customer Focus Performance Rating of Excellent”
- Allied “Customer for Life”
- Allied “Overall Quality Hauling Agent of the Year”
- Pennsylvania Moving & Storage Association “Mover Member of the Year”
- HomeAdvisor “Elite Service” and “Best of HomeAdvisor” Awards
- Winner for “Best Moving Company” by the Lehigh Valley Business Reader—based on over 24,000 reader votes!
4. Read Customer Reviews
To get a feel for how your movers act, behave, and respond under real-world conditions, be sure to thoroughly explore reviews from previous customers. You can read our 700+ moving company reviews here!
Schedule a Free Moving Consultation
Ultimately, the best way to find out whether your moving company will be able to meet your needs is to ask. All reputable local or long-distance movers should be happy to give you a free consultation and cost estimate based your unique moving specifications, including timeframe, distance, and size of move.
Be sure to prepare for your consultation and be ready to ask any questions you might have. Gauge the representative’s responses to your questions and stay watchful for any pushy sales tactics or upfront “deposit” demands. The moving consultant should be honest, professional, and open regarding what they can and cannot offer you.
At O’Brien’s Moving and Storage, we’re here to help you have a successful move—whether it’s happening in the heart of the busy season or not. We have nearly 100 years of experience and are trusted Allied movers! Contact us today to speak with our award-winning moving crews and sign up for a free consultation and quote.